Tommy Fleetwood flies the Tour flag for Great Britain at Hillside as he prepares to host the British Masters
- The British Masters takes place on the coastal town of Southport at Hillside
- Last October, the British Masters was in grave peril and being read the last rites
- Now the event has a brilliant venue and the perfect host in Tommy Fleetwood
- Tiger Woods was awarded the nation’s highest civilian honour on Monday
- Max Homa sealed remarkable recovery by winning Wells Fargo Championship
Like the start of the cricket season, the moment the European Tour touches down on British soil is usually the cue for the sun to disappear and the heavens to open.
Thankfully the forecast is rather kinder this week for the coastal town of Southport and a tournament that has defied all the odds to take its place on the schedule.
Last October, the British Masters was not so much in grave peril as being read the last rites. In the hard-nosed business world, there was no place for an event with no sponsor and a drain on the resources from the financial well of the Ryder Cup.
Read more here.