‘I want to play against the strongest fields’: Rory McIlroy to give up his European Tour membership in 2019 to continue his ‘journey back to the top’
- Rory McIlroy will give up his European Tour membership for the 2019 season
- He revealed his decision just two days before the DP World Tour Championship
- Big changes in golf’s schedule have led McIlroy to focus on the US PGA Tour
- He also hinted that other golfers may make similar choices for next season
- McIlroy insisted that he would not make the same decision in a Ryder Cup year
Rory McIlroy has delivered a major blow to the European Tour, revealing he will be giving up his membership for the 2019 season to focus on the US-based PGA Tour.
The news comes just two days before the season-ending DP World Tour Championship and is a result of big changes to the golf schedule next year.
McIlroy only intends to play two full-field European Tour events in the first half of 2019 and has made the decision as it is not a Ryder Cup year – he insisted he would not have done the same thing if it was.
Read more here.